Our History

Fraser Road Church of God started when Harry Grischke felt the call to be a minister while serving as Youth Minister of the North Euclid Church of God. He left North Euclid in 1949 and began his search for a place to start a new church. Pat Brundage and Wilma Baker had a “Good News Club” in Bay City and surrounding area for children. Harry had worked with them in the past and they agreed to let him use
their rooms at 4th and Washington Streets until he could get a building in the
country where he felt a church was needed. He and his wife, Alice, were driving in Kawkawlin township and saw a “For Sale” sign on the old St. Bartholomew Lutheran Church building at Fraser and Beaver Road. After inquiring about the building, he went across the road to Arthur Dore’s house. Mr. Dore agreed to sell him a corner of his property 1/2-milesouth of Fraser Road. Mr. and Mrs. Grischke mortgaged their home on Boy Scout Rd to get the funds for the property, the church building, and to have it moved.

In 1950, the church had been moved and was ready to hold services. There were a total of three families attending. Pastor Grischke served as Lay Leader and Preacher for the growing congregation. He was ordained in 1961 by the Michigan General Assembly and then he retired in 1974. The church had grown to 128 members. Pastors Ronald Hewitt, Raymond Brokow and John Ecklbarger followed. In 1981 plans were started for a new building. Fundraising began in 1982 and groundbreaking was in March 1985. The congregation moved into the new building in March 1987. Pastor Harold Fair was installed in 1989. In 1991 Pastor Mike Newton was Minister of Youth and was asked by the Church Board to be the Senior Pastor. In Sept. of 1998 Pastor Rick Webb was called to become the church’s Senior Pastor. In Jan. 2000 Pastor Gerald Johnston was called to become the Church’s Executive/administrative Pastor. In August of 2000 a Building Committee was formed to look into building an addition on to the Church. Jan 2001 Pastor Steve Gulick was called to become the Church’s Youth Pastor. In August of 2001 we broke ground for 13,156 sq. ft addition; Gym, Administration Area, Restrooms, Classrooms, and Larger Narthex area. Feb 2003 Pastor Dawn Gillespie was called to become our Church’s Minister of Music. In December 2003 we moved into our new addition. In July 2006, Pastor Steve Karp was called to become the Church’s Youth Pastor.